Sunday 6 November 2011

Painting my latest obsession



Here is my latest little something. A painting in acrylic on a wee little canvas (I don't have time for anything big). It began as something rather cartoonish, and while it retains some of its cartoony valies (proportions are little exaggerated) it ended up looking a lot like me! Not surprising I suppose as the only reference I have for the shading is my own face. I used the slightly mirrored front of the oven instead of a real mirror as I found with the latter I got too bogged down in detail.

Underneath, at the right you see my second attempt (this is my third painting) which is much more cartoonish with huge weird eyes and very slapdash splodgey shadows. And on its left is my first painting, just pure cartoon strangeness. I enjoyed painting all three and am satisfied that I have improved with each one!

I don't mind even if they turn out completely potty, it's still hugely satisfying to get paint on canvas and I think all 3 are pretty great in their own way.

I'm not sure what to do with them, wether I should take them to the everyman gallery in Winchester and see if I can get some feedback or to give them to my family and friends for Christmas presents.

In the background you can see a heap of library books about sewing. I am researching an underlying obsession with sewing. The book about Fashion in the 40s is really a very good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment